Registering your address in Berlin

Whether you’re a native German, member of a EU state or a non-EU citizen, you have to register your new address within two weeks after moving to Berlin (§11 MeldeGesetz).

Some Germans still refer to it as “registering with the police” (bei der Polizei anmelden) though it’s technically with the registration authorities (Meldebehörde). Every district has at least one registration office where you can register your new address, apply for an international driving licence, obtain an identity card and make use of other services. Click here to find the registration office closest to you. (Note: the website, like most bureaucratic information, is only in German. The English version of the site just gives you tourist information.)

If you have an entire morning free and avidly enjoy people-watching whilst listening to the cacophony of screaming children and Germans complaining aloud to no one in particular, then by all means – walk in without an appointment and take a number. After all, one of the most exciting and famous parts of life in Germany is its dry bureaucracy.

If you’d rather not waste half a day in the waiting room, then make an appointment at the registration authority in Berlin online or send an email to

Documents you need to bring along for registering your new address in Berlin

Within two weeks after moving to Berlin – or even if you’ve just moved house within Berlin – you must register your new address with the authorities. There is no fee, and you can either download the registration form or fill one out at the district office. Here’s what you need to bring with you to the appointment:
  • Photo ID (your national identity card or passport; foreign driving licences usually aren’t accepted)
  • Registration form (Anmeldeformular)
  • Birth certificate (only for the first time you register in Berlin!)
  • Marriage certificate (only for first time)
Though on the website it says that one must bring a birth certificate and a marriage certificate if applicable, many EU and non-EU citizens can get away with just bringing a passport, since place of birth is also verified on that official document.