Java Developer (m/f/div)
Our client, Pinguin AG, is the IT-subsidiary of ebuero-Group, which is the leading provider of remote secretary and virtual office services in Europe. We develop and operate a Software-as-a-Service supporting tens of thousands of freelancers and small businesses customers across Europe to organize their day-to-day business. Pinguin AG's software platform consists of REST APIs, web applications and mobile applications. The developers work in small teams according to the Agile methodology. In the spirit of flat hierarchies, Pinguin AG believes in giving end-to-end responsibility to the people who actually build the software and enjoy interactions with stakeholders across the company – including C-Level executives.
As a developer on a junior or intermediate level you will be part of the complete process of software development, giving you great opportunities to demonstrate your existing skills and acquire new ones. As a senior developer your role will be to guide and coach your team in finding the right approaches and laying out architectural foundations.
The product development journey starts with discussing stories together with the product owner and identifying requirements together with stakeholders. Afterwards, the team will work out architectural proposals, implement them and eventually take care of the daily operation of the software. Pinguin AG believes in people who take ownership of their part of the product and derive satisfaction from positive feedback and happy users.
Following the architectural ideas of REST and leveraging technologies like RabbitMQ and Elasticsearch, you will build scalable, stable and easy-to-integrate microservices that empower our HTML5-Web and mobile applications and interact with a large variety of surrounding systems. You’ll be using Java frameworks like Spring and Hibernate and have the chance to build systems from scratch, while also facing the challenges of integrating and migrating existing systems.
Examples of past and upcoming projects:
- Connecting the SaaS platform to Cloud Services like Google (e.g. Contacts), Office365, iCloud (e.g. Calendar)
- Implement an Elasticsearch-based backend to efficiently search in hundred of millions of documents
- Introducing new call-routing and billing features to REST-microservices
- Two-way contacts and calendar synchronizing with mobile devices
- Integration of a Web-RTC-Softphone
- Building a cutting-edge-replacement of our current web-based application for call-center agents, involving implementation of missing backend microservices, migrating the VoIP layer from 3rd-party call control (central application server managing call logic) to distributed Web-RTC-Softphones directly in the web application, replacement of the GWT-Frontend with a modern HTML-5 application, integration and user-tests, step by step rollout in a mission critical 24/7 environment
- Building a product recommendation system for upselling functions for the customer portal and CRM system
- You are fluent in Java and have ideally worked with Spring and Hibernate or similar frameworks
- You are experienced with technologies like application servers, CI tools and testing frameworks
- You have multiple years of experience in software development as well as knowledge from working with relational databases
- You think pragmatically and are constantly looking for the best solution
- You want to take responsibility for your share of the product
- You enjoy participating in discussions about software architecture
- As a senior you are experienced in coaching other team members
- You enjoy taking a user story all the way from a raw idea to a productive feature and enjoy the process of finetuning it according to user tests or feedback from users
- You are able to follow and contribute to meetings in English
What We Offer
- A secure position in a midsized start-up at heart
- Enjoy working in a motivated, international team
- Flat hierarchies and short decision paths
- An easy-to-reach office in a central location and modern equipment
- Training programs, skills enhancement and room for creativity
- Extensive additional services (world’s best coffee machine, BVG company ticket, fruits & veggies, company & team events, Urban Sports Club cooperation)